Everest Base Camp Trek is a dream of many adventure lovers. The beautiful landscapes, towering peaks, vibrant Sherpa Cultures, and a glimpse of Mount Everest make it a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
But how long is perfect for Everest Base Camp Trek?
To answer this question, this article will cover the optimal durations for an Everest Base Camp Trek, perfect for most travelers.
14 Days Everest Base Camp Trek
Excluding the Arrival (Day 1) and departure (Day 14) from the itinerary, you will have 12 Days to complete the Everest Base Camp. Here is the quick 12-day outline itinerary for EBC.
Arrival in Kathmandu & Hotel Transfer
- Fly to Lukla & Trek to Phakding
- Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazar
- Acclimatization Day at Namche Bazar
- Namche Bazar to Tyangboche
- Tyangboche to Dingboche
- Second Acclimatization at Dingboche
- Dingboche to Lobuche
- Lobuche to Gorakshep and hike to Everest Base Camp & Again Back to Gorekshep
- Gorekshep to Kalapatther & Hike to Pheriche
- Pheriche to Namche Bazar
- Back to Lukla from Namche Bazar
- Fly Back to Kathamndu from Lukla
Departure from Kathmandu
Now, excluding Day 1 & Day 14, it takes 12 days to reach and come back from Everest Base Camp. Similarly, in this itinerary, there are 2 acclimatization Day which is very important to avoid altitude sickness.
If you do not know what acclimatization is; Acclimatization is the process of allowing your body to adapt to high altitudes gradually.
Similarly, the itinerary consists of a flight to Lukla, Kalapatthar summit, & again back to Kathmandu which are the main components of this package.
With this itinerary, beginner trekkers or intermediate-level trekkers can safely complete the trek making it the perfect itinerary. However, the unpredictable weather in Lukla can keep you stranded in Ramechhap or Kathmandu for days. So in that situation, you may consider a long itinerary which is EBC via Jiri.
Everest Base Camp Via Jiri 20 Days (Jeep Drive)
Everest Base Camp via Jiri route is a classic route and the longest route to trek. If you love trekking and want to extend the itinerary then 20 Days EBC via Jiri is your choice. Here is the itinerary of EBC via Jiri excluding the arrival and departure date:
- Drive to Shivalaya (1,770 m) by bus 7-8 hours
- Trek to Bhandar (2,195m) 5 hours
- Bhandar to Sete (2,575m) 5-6 hours
- Sete to Junbesi (2,700m) via Lamjura-la pass (3,530m) 6 ours
- Junbesi to Nunthala (2,220m) 6 hours
- Nunthala to Bupsa (2,450m) 5-6 hours
- Bupsa to Surkhe (2,300m) 6 hours
- Surkhe to Phakding (2,640m) 6 hours
- Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3,440m) 6 hours
- Namche Acclimatization Day
- Namche to Tengboche (3,867m) 5 hours
- Tengboche to Dingboche (4,350m) 6 hours
- Dingboche to Lobuche (4,931m) 6 hours
- Trek to Everest base camp (5,364m) 6-7 hours ON Gorak Shep
- Climb up Kala Patthar (5,545m) and trek back to Pheriche 6 hours
- Trek to Namche Bazaar 6 hours
- Trek to Lukla 6 hours
- Fly to Kathmandu and transfer to the hotel
This itinerary consists of the long drive to Shivalaya via Jiri which is the path that Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa took. Similarly, the iconic itinerary lets you trek to new places like Bhandar, Sete, Junbesi, Nunthala, Bupsa & Surkhe. After Surkhe, the itinerary is the same as usual; Surkhe to Pkahding and so on.
You will have 2 acclimatization days, a Lukla to Kathmandu flight, and a Drive via Jiri in this package. Veteran trekkers like this kind of challenging trek.
If you have time or want to try out a new route to reach Everest Base Camp then make sure to try out 20 Days itinerary via Jiri.
However, if you are running out of time and want to do fast trekking in Everest Base Camp then, you may consider the 10-Day Everest Base Camp Heli Ride Package.
10 Days Short EBC trek with Helicopter Return
Excluding the Arrival Date from the itinerary, this package is just 9-day trek to Everest Base Camp. Here is the quick outline itinerary for you to understand better:
Kathmandu Tribhuwan airport pick up transfer to hotel
- Flight to Lukla trek to Phakding 4 hours
- From Phakding to Namche Bazaar 6 hours
- Acclimatization day
- Trek to Tengboche 5 hours
- Trek to Dingboche 5 hours
- Acclimatization day
- Trek to Lobuche 6 hours
- Trek to EBC 7 hours overnight at Gorakshep
- Climb up Kalapatthar Heli fly to Lukla & air flight to Kathmandu
So, according to the itinerary, you can see that you will be redirected to Lukla after finishing the Kalapatthar via Helicopter. After that, you will have a flight back to Kathmandu. So, no more trekking back to Namche or Lukla.
This is one of the fastest ways to clear Everest Base Camp Trek while enjoying the scenery from Helicopter and saving lots of time.
Best Itinerary to Choose for Everest Base Camp Trek:
When it comes to the best itinerary for Everest Base Camp, all the above itineraries are the best. It all depends upon how you are planning for the trek, budgeting, and how many days you can have to stay in Nepal.
If you have limited time in Nepal visit then you can choose the 10 Days Everest Base Camp Trek. However, if you have time and you are a beginner level, the 14-day package will be the best.
As for the 20-day EBC via Jiri Package, you need to have enough budget, time, and trekking experience.
Likewise, that is how you can decide the best itinerary for yourself but not a trekking agency or guide. Choosing which trekking agency to choose is another factor that you need to consider after choosing the best itinerary.
Things to Look for in the Everest Base Camp Trek Package:
After deciding which itinerary suits you better, the next task is to look for cost inclusion and exclusion in the package. Confirm the type of service provided and the quality.
An average package should have the following service in the package:
- Airport Pickup via Private Vehicle upon arrival in Kathmandu
- Accommodation in Kathmandu on the basis of Bed & Breakfast
- Domestic Flight Fare for Lukla's flight from either Kathmandu or Ramechhap
- Transportation cost for Kathmandu - Ramechhap - Kathmandu | During Peak Season
- Cost of Lodge/Tea houses During the trek | 5 nights total in a room with attached bathroom & free hot shower facility | 6 nights in a normal room
- Full Board Meal during the trek | BLD | Vegan & Veg Meals also available
- 3 cups of Tea/Coffee per day
- Cost of an Experienced licensed Trekking Guide & his all daily wages such as food, accommodation, transportation, & trek insurance
- One porter for every 2 trekkers including his daily wages such as food, accommodation, transportation & insurance
- Cost of all required Permit fees, paper works & tax
- Rent Cost for Trekking Equipment like Sleeping Bag, Down Jacket, & Duffle Bag
- Unlimited Hydration Tablet
- Certificate of Trek Completion
- Arrangement of Heli Evacuation upon emergencies as per your Travel Insurance
- General Med Kit Box
- Private Vehicle for Airport drop during departure
Overall, when deciding how long is perfect for Everest Base Camp Trek, 14-day EBC itinerary with average services is the perfect one.
The only thing that remains now is choosing the best time for Everest Base Camp Trek and preparation for Everest Base Camp Trek.
Can beginners trek to Everest Base Camp?
Yes, 14 Days is the perfect itinerary for Beginner level however preparation & fitness is also important.
Can you climb higher than Everest Base Camp?
Everest Base Camp's altitude is 5,364m and the possibility to trek higher than this is Kalapatthar with an altitude of 5,545m.
Can you sleep at Everest Base Camp?
Only the expedition group is allowed to sleep in tents at Everest Base Camp but not trekkers.
Why is the Everest Base Camp trek a demanding trek?
Incredible rewards in terms of breathtaking scenery, a glimpse of the world's tallest mountain Mt. Everest, and a unique cultural experience make EBC a demanding trek.
Why does Everest Base Camp Trek take up to 2 weeks?
Factors like altitude gain from 2,860 m (Lukla) to 5,364m (Everest Base Camp), 2 days of compulsory acclimatization, rest & recovery & scenic exploration makes it 2 weeks trek.